Board rooms and offices are a thing of the past. We are now interacting with each other via Zoom, Microsoft Rooms, Facebook, and more. But are you showing up in these meeting rooms with your game face on? Here are six fast and easy ways to make sure you show up as your best self when on a video call:
- Dress the part. Yes, you can wear slippers and pajamas on the bottom but your top needs to be clean and ready to take on the day. Make sure your hair is done, face is clean, and you are ready to get down to business.
- Lighting is very important. Do not sit with a window behind you. No one will be able to see your face or take you seriously. Make sure that you have ample light and sit with a window in front of you if possible. If you are doing interviews and really getting into the whole video thing, you may want to consider a selfie ring light.
- Sound. This is sound both for your computer and from anything going on inside your house. Make sure your computer is turned up and that your computer microphone works well. If you are presenting it may be helpful to use headphones and try to get the children to read quietly or play downstairs. Good luck with that!
- Position Your Camera. Instead of looking down at your computer, you will want to position your camera at the top of your head. Prop up your laptop to this position and tilt the screen down slightly. Get creative with items in your house – books are a great way to reach a higher level if needed.
- Who are you looking at? Have you noticed some people look like they are talking to your shoulder or to something totally off screen? It is hard to know where to look. For casual meetings, it is ok to look at who is talking while they are talking. Just remember that when it is your turn, you want to look directly into your computer camera. This will give the illusion that you are looking at your audience.
- Backgrounds are important. Finally, it is important that you don’t have a ton of clutter behind you while you are speaking with clients or talking to your staff. Yes, we all have seen the Golden Gate bridge, but this is an opportunity to be unique with a branded virtual background! Spoiler alert: we can make you one!
Bonus: In case of an emergency. Zoom has a “touch up appearance” option in the video settings. This feature retouches your video display with a soft focus. You’re welcome.
It seems like a lot of boxes to check before going live, but really once you get set up the first time, you don’t have to worry about it every time. Enjoy your next video conference call!
If you are interested in purchasing a branded virtual background for yourself and your team please email us at We will make you two branded versions with your logo and 1 round of edits for only $75.